DataCenterDirect delivers highly flexible, high availability hosting for your mission critical applications in just days, not weeks or months. Our virtual environment offers extremely high agility, memory and processing speed, and disk space can be tailored to meet the needs of any application. Security is absolutely essential in today’s electronic environment. DCD employs state of the art managed firewalls to ensure your valuable data is protected.
SaaS: The RDP Advantage for ISVs and Users (PDF)
How RDP SaaS deployment reduces costs, time to market and barriers to entry while improving security, performance and the UX.
Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) face 3 critical decisions:
1. On premise or SaaS?
2. In house or outsource?
3. Web SaaS or RDP SaaS?
On premise or SaaS?
The on premise model requires up-front and ongoing capital expenses for the customer including hardware, software, installation, maintenance, monitoring, backup, security and support as well as user management. In addition, local servers and systems vary widely in performance levels and may not guarantee optimum performance of your mission critical software. These factors combined can result in a bad UX which is bad for business.
Software as a Service (SaaS), however, leverages cloud technology to ensure consistent and reliable performance due to total control of the hosting environment. In addition, the burdens of upfront and ongoing capital expenses, as well as managing, monitoring and maintaining the installation, has been lifted off the shoulders of customers and end-users. This contributes to a positive UX which is good for business.
These factors, along with the added benefits of mobility, flexibility and scalability, are major drivers behind the growth of SaaS. According to Gartner, by 2015 the size of the SaaS market will grow from $16 billion today to more than $21 billion. For ISV’s the question is no longer if, but when and how to move their software to the cloud.
DCD RDP SaaS
- Optimal configuration of network, hardware and software.
- Mission critical business application is protected from end user PC problems including viruses, spyware and other PC plagues.
- Anywhere access comes standard.
- 24 x 7 x 365 monitoring comes standard.
- Server located in secure, severe weather hardened data center with redundant power, climate control, and internet as well as fire-protection and enterprise grade internet security.
- Data availability and recoverability built into price. Data is replicated and backups are tested.
- 48 hour go live rapid deployment.
- Server not guaranteed for optimal performance.
- All associated support and maintenance of server dependent on your time and resources even if outsourced. Are backups being verified and tested? Operating system updated? Service Packs applied?
- Need to provide physical security and necessary environment for reliable server operations. Is server in a hot, dusty (heat and dust kill a server) closet with no fire, flood, hurricane or theft protection?
- Anywhere access via the internet is not included with purchase of server and adds a serious security threat if not set up correctly.
- Potential administrative overhead to manage all users especially if remote access is required.
- Implementation can take weeks or months.
In house or Outsource?
Once an ISV has decided to make the move to the cloud they have to decide if they will host the software in house or outsource. This is probably the easiest decision to make because one path requires an ISV to add data center implementation and management to its core competency as well as large infrastructure investments. The answer to this question depends greatly on in house resources, expertise and capital.
Web SaaS or RDP SaaS?
The two main deployment models for SaaS include web SaaS and RDP SaaS. For web SaaS deployment, the web app is deployed via the internet using Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP). Users access web-based software using an internet browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Browser-based software can be problematic due to browser compatibility issues, security vulnerabilities, and difficulty integrating with other necessary applications.
For RDP SaaS deployment, the RDP app is deployed via the internet using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Users access RDP-based software using an RDP client which is native to Windows and will run on any OS including Apple, iOS and Android. The RDP app appears like an app running on the local desktop, but it is actually running in the cloud.
While both the web app and the RDP app offer the same basic SaaS advantages, the RDP app offers additional significant advantages over a web app. Added benefits include reduced costs, time to market, and barriers to entry with improved security, performance and UX. Additionally, all of the functionality developed for your desktop version is preserved with the RDP SaaS deployment solution, and can be integrated with other applications like your desktop version.
The RDP Advantage
- No development required. Unlike a traditional web app, RDP app deployment requires no changes to be made to the code of the software, and all original functionality is retained.
- Reduced time to market. Because there is no development required, RDP apps can be deployed rapidly in days, not weeks or months like web apps.
- Reduced costs. With no development required and rapid deployment, capital costs are greatly reduced compared with web deployment.
- Reduced barrier to entry. Reduced costs and time to market ultimately mean fewer obstacles to getting your software into the hands of users.
- No browser compatibility issues. RDP is not subject to the issues unique to each browser including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
- Increased security. RDP internet access requires authentication and encryption unlike HTTP internet access.
- Improved performance. Because RDP does not have the browser and security issues inherent in HTTP, overall performance is improved.
- Optimized UX. Fast, secure, reliable apps result in an optimized UX.
Your Cloud Partner
Through our Cloud Partner program we provide ISV’s with a total OEM SaaS Cloud Hosting solution that is seamless to the user. This enables ISV’s to focus on development while we focus on deployment. Increase revenue and improve customer satisfaction by giving your users The RDP Advantage.
DataCenterDirect is a Microsoft Certified Partner with over 30+ years combined experience and we have been migrating networks and applications to the cloud since 2005.
Our secure state of the art data center is strategically located directly on the fiber optic hub of the US in Indianapolis, IN ensuring optimum cloud performance.
We are a veteran owned and operated business with a demonstrated ethos of dedication and commitment.